Rescue Church Planting
Church planting as a movement has lost its way and is in need of rescuing.
A church planter came in to meet with me after attending the hottest new plant in our city. He was intoxicated with vision. He couldn’t say enough good stuff about the way this new church operated. It was running over 600 people while just a little over six months old. After the planter talked about signage, parking, greeting, hosting, childcare, worship, preaching, and so on he paused to catch his breath. I asked him a simple question, “What about Jesus?” “Pardon me?” he replied with a puzzled look. I repeated myself, “What about Jesus? Where was Jesus in all this?” He pause and went introspective. In a few moments he returned. This time there were tears in his eyes as he replied, “There was no Jesus!”
Jesus paints a vivid picture of this when he addresses the Church of Laodicea, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me” (Revelations 3:20). Where is Jesus in this picture? What is he doing outside his church? How did we come this far?
Planting the Gospel is a movement about rescue. Our mission is to rediscover the simplicity and beauty of Jesus and his ways resulting in dozens of movement making churches, hundreds of church plants, thousands of disciples, and millions of gospel seeds sown.
Our prayer is that God will rescue us from ourselves. It’s our desire that Jesus and Jesus alone will be enough. We need nothing else. We confess that we have made church planting more about…
- Building our little kingdoms instead of advancing his glorious Kingdom.
- Reaching “more of those” instead of the “least of these”.
- Puffing our own Narcissism instead of His glory and honor.
- Advancing our own personal mission instead of embracing his mission.
- Producing weekend services instead of reproducing the “Body of Christ”.
- Being relevant instead of proclaiming his liberating revelation.
God save us from ourselves! We repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand! We embrace your way as the only way. We commit to plant the Gospel as reflected by…
- Being devoted to a Gospel of rescue, renewal, and re-creation.
- Accepting our mission of making disciples that live like Jesus, love like Jesus, and leave what Jesus left behind (those that live like him and love like him).
- Embracing the Kingdom of Heaven as our true citizenship.
- Reproducing disciples, leaders, groups, ministries, churches, and movements.
- Acting with humility, justice, and mercy toward the “least of these”.
- Depending solely on the power of the Holy Spirit to work within and through us.
If you would like to learn more please take a moment and fill out this brief form and we would be glad to contact you.